CAKE TROUBLESHOOTING & SOLUTIONS
Many people steer clear of cake baking due to having many problems related to it but the good news is that you are not the only one! There is a solution to every huddle you face and you will encounter some that will be personal and you keep learning as you move along! Here are some problems that you can encounter in cake baking and some possible solutions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
PROBLEMS RELATED TO RISING:
1. MY CAKE DID NOT RISE OR HAS A LOW VOLUME: Possible causes & remedies:
2. MY CAKE HAS RISEN UNEVENLY: Sometimes your cake might have risen on one side only and not the other.
Possible causes & remedies:
3. CAKE HAS PEAKED/HUMPED AND/OR HAS CRACKED AT THE CENTER TOP
This is when the cake has 'over risen' creating a hump shape over the top side which can sometimes crack open too.
Possible caused & remedies:
4. MY CAKE HAS SUNK IN THE CENTER (TOP SIDE):
When the cake has a sunk at the top creating a depression in the middle of the cake.
5.MY CAKE HAS CUPPED IN THE CENTER (BOTTOM SIDE): There is a raised section at the bottom center of the cake.
PROBLEMS RELATED TO COOKING:
6. CAKE HAS BROWNED UNEVENLY:
7. MY CAKE IS BURNT:
PROBLEMS RELATING TO THE OUTSIDE COATING/CAKE CRUST:
8.THE CAKE CRUST IS WET & STICKY
(This is then the outside of the cake is wet and sticky)
9. MY CAKE HAS A THICK TOUGH CRUST
PROBLEMS RELATING THE THE INSIDE OF THE CAKE ITSELF
10.THE CAKE HAS A WET TEXTURE
(This refers to the inside of the cake itself)
11. MY CAKE IS GREASY:
12.MY CAKE HAS TUNNELS & HOLES
13. CAKE IS DRY & CRUMBLY TEXTURE
PROBLEMS RELATED TO CAKE REMOVAL:
14. CAKE STICKS TO THE PAN.
More information & tips
1)Cake baking has a small margin of error so use exact measurements and use the correct method/technique as advised in the recipe.
2)Use ingredients that are suitable for baking. Different ingredients are made up of different components and in different percentages. All these will affect the final product it is being used in.
3) As with anything else, practice makes perfect... so never give up. You will learn as you get cooking over and over again, but make it easier by following instructions to the letter!